Probably the biggest question after booking a session is what to wear?! Your choice of clothing can make a big difference in the overall feel of your images, so it does require some thought! Here are some of my tips:
- Think coordinating, but not too matchy. Choose a color palette and mix it up between family members. But don’t necessarily give everyone the same color shirt.
- Avoid distracting logos or images on clothing. No character shirts for the little ones. Solid colors or simple patterns are the way to go for everyone.
- Keep colors light or fairly dark (ex. pastel blue or navy blue). AVOID large amounts of RED or any other very bright colors, especially in shirts, as these can cast weird colors on faces.
- Think about layers, textures, and accessories. Sweaters, scarves, hats or other accessories add interest, but keep it simple and not too trendy. :)
- Wear any makeup slightly heavier than usual. Again, keep it simple and not too trendy. Avoid anything very shimmery!
- Avoid shorts and sleeveless shirts…usually not a problem on the coast. :)
- Don’t forget, shoes matter too. Unless you are planning to go barefoot on the beach! (Which does tend to look better…)
Remember, these are just suggestions. The most important thing is that you are comfortable and your photographs represent who you really are! P.S. Not all of these rules apply for newborn sessions. I usually go over this beforehand, but send me an email if you have questions! I am always happy to help you with planning your session. If you have other questions or want my opinion on colors, etc. just send me a note!
what to wear hall of fame
Find inspiration from these past clients who got it right! Please know that if you don’t find yourself here, it’s NOT because you didn’t look amazing! I just tried to include those who were unique or particularly well-coordinated. I love you all. :)